For students and parents who are concern on how to build a strong foundation in English from young and will follow you through your lifetime, the main and upmost importance is grammar and vocabulary. Only when you have a firm grasp of grammar and a wealth of vocabulary at your disposal, you will be equipped to handle all kinds of examination aspects like composition, comprehension and even oral.
Grammar refers to the rules of the language. When we learn about grammar in the English language, we learn about the set of rules which governs how a sentence or phrase is composed. The key to speaking and writing good English lies in your ability to first understand how a sentence is formed and how it can be used.
Here are some useful tips that you can use to improve your grammar:
- Be familiar with grammar rules. As these rules do not change, it is essential you know these well. You have to know what the past tense form of verbs are as well as the plural form of nouns. You have to know the meanings of prepositions and how they are used in sentences as well as how certain connectors are used to connect clauses.
- Read widely and wisely. Select books of which are informative and entertaining so that you will be more inclined to read them. Read up on topics which appeal to you so that you will not find reading a chore. In this way, you will subconsciously pick up the rules of the language like subject-verb agreement as well as other types of sentence structures.
- Purchase assessment books on grammar for adequate practice. It is good to put into practice what you have learnt and apply your knowledge to questions which have been crafted to test your grammar. From here, you will know what are your strengths and weaknesses and which area you should work on.
Besides knowing grammar, having adequate knowledge of vocabulary is just as important. Here are some useful tips that you can use to improve your vocabulary:
- The most effective way is through reading. Make frequent trips to the library or purchase books that appeal to you. Through reading, you will be exposed to variety of new words. When you encounter words that you do not understand, take time to look through the meaning of the words and how they are used.
- Be aware of your surroundings in your everyday life. Look at street signs, advertisements, signboards and even menus. See if you know how to read these words and understand their meanings. In this way, you will see how language is used in daily life and the importance of building up on vocabulary bank.
- Use new words you have learnt. This is in order to remember the new words that you have learnt and to check if you have used them correctly. If you have used them wrongly, your parents, siblings and friends may help to correct you. Also, when you converse with others, you may learn some new words from them and know how to use them.
- Buy some vocabulary assessment books to practise. This will help you to reinforce by doing vocabulary exercise. Seeing words in written form will help you to remember the spelling as well.
I hope that these tips will help you to improve your grammar and vocabulary. All of us have to learn and build on it regardless of how old you are, which level you are at, which school or institution you are from.
Language is part and parcel of everyone's life!
Source: Quoted from an article.